Aug 30, 2006

Beach Bound


I’m heading off to the beach today for the first and last time of this year's summer vacation. I only live 15 minutes from Padre Island, but for some reason or the other I haven’t taken the kids yet. Oh yeah, it might be the fact that I’ve been nursing my hubby who had his hip replaced, or the fact we spent a lot of the beginning of summer in the beautiful state of Colorado, or even that my kids have not asked once to go to the beach. Regardless, I often wonder why people who live so close to something so cool, don’t go. You know the way people who live in New York City have never been to the Empire State Building. Or people who live in Washington DC have never been to the White House. I sometimes get really frustrated that I don’t take more vacations in my own backyard. There is really a lot to do here otherwise so many tourists from up north wouldn’t come to visit. I was just curious if anyone else feels the way I do. Oops, I forgot the best reason for not going to the beach. Shall we say it together ladies? The Bathing Suit!

6 comments:

Padre Reeds said...

headed to the beach now to dig sand with matthew schulz!

The Glow Girls said...

I totally relate to not just taking a vacation in our own city. Jeff and I did just that many moons ago. We love the seawall on ocean drive stayed in a few B&B. As far as the beach. Since I grew up here, I was at the beach just about everyweekend in my jeep and I have the freakles to prove it. I even skipped school at times to go to the beach. Is that revealing to much? I'm so wiped out from the sand and wind and water. I think I'm still finding sand from 20 years ago. Hope you have fun. As far as beaches go, my favorite is the ones in Va Beach, Va and Floridia. But for here, I would have to vote on North Beach by the Lex. Take cool pictures.

Donnetta said...

Have a great time at the beach today! Praying for beautiful weather for you. You so deserve it!!

And btw... I can totally related about the whole bathing suit thing. But, let's not dwell on that... I may cry. :-)

Shawna said...

Ahh, the bathing suit. Yuck. We live right by a lake and NEVER go, and the river that Chappy and I went fishing on recently, well, he goes all the time, but I grew up here and had never been fishing on it in a boat before. People drive hours to come to our lake.

uuu said...

I can totally relate about living close to somewhere and never going. We lived near the Smoky Mts. in East TN for our entire lives and visited the Mts. often. However, once we moved to WV we took forgranted that we could go hike and explore some of the most wonderful caves ever, then in MD we were a mere 45 minutes from Ocean City and went 1 time in 4 years. Again, we live here an hour from the beach and rarely go!!! Sad isn't it... hope you enjoyed the beach!!! :)

Julie said...

I had to laugh at this...we live only 45 minutes from one of the top-10 beaches in the world, but rarely get there. Actually, my hubby and I are NOT beach people at all.

A few years ago we took a family vacation at HOME. We acted like tourists and did some really fun stuff! And it was cheap!

Also~our summer was unusual, like yours, since my hubby had hip replacement surgery on May 10th, and I had a more minor surgery (but still surgery!) six weeks later. We joked about starting a "Surgery Club"...but nobody wanted to join! LOL Now our 10-year old daughter is scheduled for surgery to have her tonsils out on Tuesday. Enough already!