Dec 11, 2006

Christmas Treats

This is just a sample of the cookies my kids made on Saturday. If the truth be known, this is all we have left Monday morning. All the others were given away or eaten (mostly eaten). I made some fudge too. I have never ever made fudge before because I thought it might involve one of those thermometer thingys I have never owned. I was looking on a can of Eagle Brand milk and I saw it had a fudge recipe with only a few ingredients and a few steps. How easy! It turned out okay, but from now on I will add way more nuts. I love nuts! I gave some fudge to Annie's friend and her family. Annie came home after playing, and said the family's dogs got into the fudge and ate all of it. "They had to leave them outside for a while in case they puked," Annie explained. Great, I thought. The first time I make fudge, I kill two dogs. Well, I haven't heard any news yet, so hopefully everything has "passed".
I would love to try to make some divinity this year (another thing I've never tried to make). My mom has always made divinity, but she says the weather has to be just right. I also know for sure that a candy thermometer is involved, as well as "spinning a thread" while stirring. What is spinning a thread? If someone knows of any easy divinity recipe, then pass it my way. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

7 comments:

Barb said...

Goodness, Susie. Do they know that chocolate is toxic to dogs? I hope they're keeping a close eye out.

The Eagle Brand fudge recipe is a sure bet. It always turns out.

As for divinity, I posted my recipe a few days ago. I've made divinity during the holidays for as long as I can remember. Don't be afraid of the clip on thermometer - it's so much easier to know when the syrup has cooked to the perfect point if you use the thermometer. No pulling a string necessary at all. I've never done that and my divinity comes out perfect. The one thing that really is important is to not try to make it on a humid or rainy day. For some reason, it just won't work.

I ruined two batches last winter and couldn't figure out why. Then I realized I was running a humidifier in my house. I turned it off and tried again the next day and it came out great.

The Glow Girls said...

oh, my gosh on the dogs. Tobin gave Ginger our dog a choc. chip cookie the other day, trying to be a sweet boy that he is. Ginger was okay, but I kept her outside. I think she just pooped alot. LOL!!!

My sister made divinty all the time when we were younger , she is good at making christmas candies. I looked at Barbs recipe and it looks very simliar to the one My sister used. Good luck!!

If you ever feel the need to make fudge again, I'm all for that. I love fudge!

on the Rock said...

I keep a close watch on my chocolates around my dog too now. When he was a pup I didn't know there were a bag of old hershey kisses I'd never eaten and just thrown into my closet attached to the balloon it was anchoring. Love chocolates, but I don't always eat 'em. Well one day I found little bits of foil around his mouth and stained fur. Then I inspected by smelling the stains and sure enough found the hersheys in my closet all eaten up. He was okay, but I learned never to leave chocolate on doggy level ever again.

Your kids' cookies look like alot of fun!

DA Wagners said...

I've tried to make divinity while living in Galveston. It does not fair very well when you live next to the water. I doubt if Corpus will be any better. Let me know! Fudge sounds great. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. And the Christmas cookies your kids made look so cool! I love all the colors!

Pamela said...

Susie, all those good intentions and now look what you've gone and done...lol At first I kind of gasped, but then I thought your heart was in the right place and the fudge didn't have a note that said "to your dogs...Merry Christmas"! lol Divinity in Florida...yeah, I can't turn of the humidity button! lol :) Very sweet and thoughtful of you giving and sharing the baked cookies and candies!

Padre Reeds said...

Chocolate labs can eat chocolate...they just get the runs...that reminds me; Do you miss those dogs from last Christmas? I'm thinking of buying you two weimaraners this year. They're very calm and low maintenance...

Linda said...

Since I seem to be perpetually behind these days, I'm going to comment on two posts in this one comment (does that make sense?). You did have a blessed sunday. I was thinking about gift-giving the other day and how the Lord delights to give His children gifts. I know your grateful heart blesses Him.
The fudge sounds delicious. I hope the dogs recover - but really - they must learn how to eat their sweets in moderation!!