Okay, do you think I've given it enough time to be able to tell if home schooling is for me or not? It has been a little over 6 months, and I'm still completely overwhelmed and twitching a bit. I Don't THINK the twitching is a normal reaction for HS moms. Maybe it is, but the moms have a secret pact that they never share it with a first year rookie mom.
Today I was sharing with a veteran HS mom that I wasn't sure if I was going to give it another try next year or not. By her speechless reaction you would have thought I said that I hate my children, I never want to be with them, and I'm turning in my mom badge. In all reality, it is the complete opposite. I feel like I was such a better mom before home schooling. Here are a few of the many reasons why:
1. Most importantly, I had time for me. Me time=happy time=fun mom.
2. My words were sweeter. I wasn't correcting all the time, teaching all the time, and settling conflicts all the time.
3. I actually had time to shop for dinner each day and make special treats for the kids when they came home from school.
4. I miss my dates at lunch with my hubby and our Friday mornings at home alone on his day off.
5. I know they are not getting as good an education as they did last year. There I said it. Yes, they are brilliant children by some blessing I don't deserve, but I know they could be getting better. Having to teach three children at three different grade levels is tough. Don't let someone tell you it's not.
I can't believe I'm sharing all this, but I need to see in writing what I'm feeling right now. Many of these reasons are just excuses and all can be worked on if I put forth the effort. I also want to make clear that I respect all the HS moms out there and would never in a million years want to make anyone turn away from this important personal decision. In fact, my HS friends Angie and Mollie have been so supportive and helpful that they alone make me want to keep trying. I know God will show me the path we need to take in the future, but for right now, I'm just not feeling it.
*Just by getting alone on the computer to type this post was a great feat in itself. I was interrupted 15 times. I guarantee you that I wouldn't be on the computer right now, but playing with them if they had been in school today. I'm just saying...