Sep 25, 2006

A Promise In The Sky


This is such an amazing picture I took about week and a half ago. My son called me up to his bedroom window and we saw not only a rainbow, but also a cloud in the shape of a cross next to it. By the time I found the camera and ran back up stairs, the cross had faded. Seth and I both felt like that was a special present from God, just for the two of us.

Later that week, I was helping out in the library with my daughter's first grade class. They were taking reading comprehension tests on books they had read. One little girl was taking a test on a Noah's Ark children's book. I was helping her read the questions on the computer. I almost started to cry when I realized that she didn't know anything about the story. I didn't care that she hadn't read the book itself, I was saddened that she had never heard the wonderful biblical account. Doesn't every child know this story? In defense of this little girl, it is her first year at our school and her parents obviously wanted a christian education for her. It struck me so much that such a well known story was never read to her. She couldn't even tell me what God had placed in the sky as a promise to us. Did I mention that it was a multiple choice test? She still had no clue of any of the answers. I told her to try and get her parents to read her the story. I also prayed for her when I left. We as parents should be the ones teaching our children about God's word. Everyone else can help them along the way, but it is our ultimate responsibility. I am talking to myself here more than anyone else! A big eye opener that I will not soon forget.

12 comments:

The Glow Girls said...

I love those moments with our children. Just last night I was commenting on how beautiful the sunset was over our house. I treasure those moments with everything I have with my children. Good story. This should be a devo!

on the Rock said...

Everytime I see a rainbow I too am remind how treasured we are to God! Beautiful scene!

Susanne said...

What a special present for you and your son!

I met a girl in college years ago who had no idea that the rainbow is a promise from God. I, too, thought it was so sad!

Pamela said...

Susie, What a precious moment you and your son shared...truly a beautiful reminder of God's promise. Isn't that amazing about the little cross! :)

Glad you were there for the little girl.

Barb said...

Well, on the brighter side, it's never too late. At least she's where she'll start learning these stories.

You should do what I do. Wear you camera around your neck at all times. Kidding. But I've sure considered it when I miss a great shot! :-)

Janice said...

What an Awesome picture!
Janice

Ms. Kathleen said...

What an awesome picture and excellent reminder that we are the ultimate teachers of our children.

Shawna said...

That's a great picture. I feel sad for the little girl, too. I just don't realize I guess how many people don't ever hear the stories. How do they ever have any hope?

Anonymous said...

The picture is great.

As for the little girl....all we can do is share what we know.
Jen

Julie said...

The picture is so pretty, I only wish that the cross hadn't faded so WE could all enjoy it!

Prayer is SO powerful. God showed you that little girl to give you an opportunity to pray for her, and she will be blessed because of it. How cool is that?

Eagles Wings said...

What a great photo! I just had one of those on august 30th..and got to share with my 3 yr old the story of the rainbow.
Yes you think every child has heard that story and it grieves my heart whent they have never heard....
That's so cool thanks for sharing
Blessings

Anonymous said...

I too saw that rainbow day, but I had a different view. I saw it from one end to the other. It totally grips me emotionally to see that sign of God's promise to us. Not only that He will never flood to earth again, but that every promise He gives..He's gonna keep. What an awesome feeling to praise God in the midst of something so spectacular and beautiful. I was in my car and I wanted to know that everyone got to see it and experience it's splendor. Just like you said Sus, hard to believe that others who are not Christ followers would not be able to enjoy a rainbow in the same way. What a special priviledge it is to know Him and worship Him.
So glad you captured that on film!
YSIC, Amy D.