May 3, 2007

A Rare Treasure

I was attempting to clean out clutter in my garage last night when I came across a rare treasure in the history of Skip and Susie's life together. I found a video we made together in high school. We, along with two other friends(Melissa and Derrick), had been studying for an Algebra 2 test, and during a break we decided to do an impromptu video of our own version of the "We Are The World" Video. It is hilarious! Our personalities are so similiar to how we are now that it is scary. We were the best of friends then, but had no romantic feelings until years later. It was such a cool thing for my kids to see what their parents were like as teens (I think we were juniors at the time.) I was wearing a bright yellow sleeveless sweater with Jams. I also had the matching green bandana in my hair tied up at the top with my spiral permed hair. Skip was skinny, 80's hair, tan, and stinkin hilarious as usual. We had such chemistry, and weren't even dating. We need to capture this onto a dvd and post it sometime. Too funny!

10 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds so fun. Hope we'll get to see it. I bet your kids did have a ball over this.

Ruth said...

Ah yes....the 80's/90's. That was a memorable era. My husband and I just recently dug out pictures of us during that time. He brought them to school to show his students. (Groan!) I also had the big, permed hair. I wonder how long until that is in style again?!

Linda said...

I've known my husband since we were in elementary school. It's so much fun to have so much shared history. I'm glad you found that treasure!!

Anonymous said...

Love to see your rendition of the We Are the World. Do let me know when you post it.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/


PS. I’ve started a photoblog at www.mikeleonen.com
Appreciate a visit and comments.

Addie said...

How fun! I'd love to see the dvd! Makes me wanna go dig out our old prom photos to show the kids. I love that my husband, best friend, and high school sweetheart are all the same person. :D

The Glow Girls said...

We parents were once teenagers? Oh my, were we ever. You made want to go look at all our old highschool pictures. Oh, my the clothes we would wear and the music. I think it ROCKS that you and Skip have known each other for so long. It's taken Jeff and I 15 years to really let loose and have fun together. As we mellow out and our kids reach the teen years , we as a couple are having a blast embarrsing them. I love it. It gives me a glimps of what my husband was like when he was that age. For , me I was just plain rebellious and wild.

Connie Barris said...

you would thin that the 80's weren't that long ago, until you look at what we wore... and then it's scary...

amazing how dramatic the styles change in such a short time...

I bet you were too cute...

Connie

DA Wagners said...

Is there a way you can post that retro video to your blog? How fun would that be to watch!

Sarah said...

Susie, my mom mentioned you in her post today (Blessed Beyond Measure), and when I came over here I read the story behind your name. It really spoke to me! We played a similar game at my MomTime group a while back, and while my best friend was called "ladylike," "gentle," and "beautiful," somebody called me "not easily offended." I liked what my best friend was called better, but as time has gone on, I realize what a compliment I was paid!

My mom and dad used to run a greenhouse of only carnations--it did extremely well. I guess that means everybody likes carnations! :) Roses are difficult to grow and care for, susceptible to lots of diseases, and each of the other flowers has issues, too. Simple is a good thing!!

Thank you for sharing your story about this--I think everybody can relate to it in some way!

(Sorry--that was a LONG comment! But I loved that you shared something so personal to you.)

And I LOVE that you've known your husband since high school!

Robin said...

OH my word! You have to find a way to post that. =)

Gotta love the jams. I'm sure they'll come back in style in the next few years. Hee Hee.