Today my firstborn is turning 15, and I truly feel like the most blessed mom in the whole wide world. Even though many may say she is my twin, it is only on the outside. She is so much like her daddy in personality it is scary. For instance, we have been on a mini vacation for the last few days and I asked her if she wanted a friend over for a sleepover tonight for her bday. She said, "Mom, I've been around people all week, and you think I want someone else over?" If you know my husband, you will be laughing. He loves people...in small doses...on his terms. Too funny!
I thought in celebration of her 15 years of blessing us, I would give 15 great memories, abilities, personality traits or stories about my lovable daughter.
1. Ashley is named after a girl I went to high school with named Ashley Logan. I'm sure the girl wouldn't remember me, but I was invited over to her house for an Anchor Club breakfast when I was a sophomore and I fell in love with that cute name. The girl was fun, outgoing and popular, and I decided right there (at 15 probably) that I would name my first daughter Ashley. If she was a boy is was going to be Ashton. I loved both names, but I'm glad I got my Ashley.
2. Ashley did everything early. Why we pushed her so hard to crawl, walk and talk so fast, I will never know. She walked at 8 and half months, and could fully say her ABC's and full sentences at 2. She was so much fun and always making the funniest faces with her big blue eyes. Her eyes didn't turn green until after her 1st bday.
3. Ashley is not my sports girl. She took dance for many years and made us proud, but one year when she was 6 she did try soccer. At her first game she ended up chasing a baggie that was flying around in the Corpus Christi wind the ENTIRE TIME. Her basketball career didn't fair too much better in junior high, but the girl gave it a try anyways. My Ashley has the best attitude when she isn't good at something. She does what she is good at instead.
4. Ashley wore bows the first 6 years of her life (poor thing I know). She has continued to like being girly and wearing dresses. It was all she knew having me for a mama so thankfully it caught on and continues today. One time at about two she was crying and it she kept touching her head. I realized that she was upset because we were about to leave the house without a bow. LOL, that was my Ashley.
5. Ashley is a fantastic writer. She writes song lyrics, poems and short stories. Every time I read something of hers it makes me so proud. Okay, she is a little like me in that she loves to write and read. However, she blows me away with her abilities.
6. Ashley has almost a photographic memory. I am amazed at how well she can recite things she's heard. She has always been that way with things she likes. I can't even tell you how much of the conversations in the Twilight series she has memorized. Which brings me to the next point...
7. Ashley loves Twilight. Let me rephrase that...Ashley loves all things Twilight! We are having a Twilight themed bday party, her room has Twilight posters, she reads Twilight blogs, she dreams about the characters in Twilight. As much as I've tried to discourage her a bit, it is really a beautiful love story (except that the main characters are vampires and all). Heehee.
8. Ashley is funny! Her laugh is contagious and the things she comes up with never leave us doubting that she is her father's child. I cannot ride in the car with out her record pantomiming the words to every song on the radio. She makes me laugh everyday and I love that about her. In fact, a sense of humor is one thing that has helped Skip and I get through so much in our marriage. I'm glad it passed on to our children.
9. Ashley is smart! I'm so proud of the grades she has made this year and how hard she works. She corrects my grammar and my misspellings daily. Someone needs to do it. Her ability to learn new things amazes me.
10. Ashley is creative. Even as a young child she did things differently than everyone else. In her first preschool class (she was just a couple of months older than 2) she did an art project. I think it was a picture of an animal and all the kids had to do was glue on the eyes, the nose and the mouth. We saw tons of cute pictures, but when we came to Ashley's it is looked like a Picasso. Everything was out of place, but it looked interesting. I'm so glad she is unique in how she looks at things in this world.
11. Ashley loves to sing. She sings all the time. She may not be a musical genius, but she appreciates and loves to have music playing all the time. She introduces me to new artists and new styles of music I probably would never have been exposed to, but they are always great to enjoy.
12. She loves animals. She has been the main caregiver of our dog Triscuit, and is always willing to do the not so fun things associated with having a dog.
13. Ashley is strong in her beliefs. Oh I wish I could have been more life her as a young lady. She truly has a heart for God and will not let anyone shake that. When I hear her pray and write to God, I am amazed. I can't wait to see where God takes her in her journey with Him.
14. Ashley is a wonderful big sis. Don't get me wrong here, she can be bossy and demanding of her siblings, but she is a great helper and encourager when they need it. I love the way she will still play house and babies with her much younger sister. She also has such a great relationship with her brother and thinks he rocks!
15. Ashley sparkles! I know she will like this, and it is true. She is different from other girls that just go with the flow. She knows who she is and is proud to be that way.
I love you Ashley and I can't believe you are 15 today. I love you with all my heart!