Sep 19, 2006

TV Can Be Good For You

Since school has begun, our family is trying to make Monday and Friday nights "family nights." It is the only two weekday nights that we don't have activities going on. Last night was a tv night. I know, I know, it's not the ideal thing to do, but it was fun. The boys settled into my bedroom to watch a little Monday Night football (boring to me unless the Cowboys or Aggies are playing), and the girls and I took the big screen for a little "Wife Swap. " Not usually a program we would watch, but I monitored and discussed throughout. We were amazed at how some people live. Such extremes were presented, and it made us wonder how we would look to others coming in. I am not super organized and a neat freak, nor am I a lazy mess. After watching the complete episode, we felt pretty good where we fit as a family. The girls and I painted toenails and fingernails while we cleaned the dinner dishes on commercials. I think we balance life just fine. We did see some children using profanity and disrespecting adults, but then we talked about how God says to honor our parents and treat others with respect. We also discussed how keeping the house in order and clean let's us have friends over and keeps us safe from falls and germs. There is always room for improvement, but watching a show like that made us thankful for our unique family. Now, don't even get me started about Super Nanny!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Family nights are great!

I've always been curious about "Wife Swap" but since I don't watch much TV, I never know when something is on or which station to watch. Maybe next Monday I'll give it a try.

It's always good to use TV and other opportunities to teach our kids. I like how you did that, cuz I do the same thing!

Hey~how is your new 'drink more water' campaign going? (Aww...now I've gone to meddling...){smile}

Pamela said...

That's wonderful Susie, we always did "family day" on Sundays, the kids weren't allowed to have friends over, we just did family activities or outings together.

It is so nice that you take the time to discuss the differences between people and their families. When you develope open communication when they are little it just makes it so much easier when they are older...you will be so grateful! You have a lovely family structure . :)I am shocked how different people are and how they live.

Anonymous said...

I love watching tv with my girls as well. Some of those shows can make some great discussions. The nanny and the wife swap now don't get me started on those. However you can learn alot from thier shows as to what NOT to do or better yet encourage to do better.

Anonymous said...

Hey Susie
Wife Swap is actually the only show that I really make a point to watch, don't know what it is about that crazy thing! You know we just recently had our TV 'turned back on' after over 5 months of voluntary shut off. The only show I still would watch would be when I made a point to go to the Athletic Club on Mon. nights.
This Mon. the kids and I watched it, and like you, I painted Briannah's nails during it. Fun!

Anonymous said...

BTW, I it was funny today. We were driving home from Briannah's American Heritage Girl meeting. She had some new girls in her troop. I asked her which school they went to, she said "they are home-schooled."
To which Richard immediately repied, "cool, they must be on Wife Swap!"
Seems I've brainwashed my 6 year old.......

Barb said...

Don't get me started on Super Nanny either. Unbelievable how out of control the families on that show have gotten. They could all use a couple of family nights a week. What you're doing with your kids is wonderful.

The Glow Girls said...

Today is Thursday I plan on placing myself watching McDreamy and the new 6th degrees show. Then on Sunday there is a new seris called " Brother& Sister". Yes, tv can be good for you to some degree. I'm not planting myself all the time at the tube I have make a mental note of what and when I watch and what the kids are watching. I do have to agree that some shows do make for some great discussions , few are wife swap, suviour, 7th heaven, gilmore girls,
and super Nanny. Oh my all time fav. what not to wear.

Shawna said...

Sounds like a great night with your children.