Jul 8, 2008

Day 2- We Learn Something New Every Day




Today was a good day in Skip's recovery except for two things. One, he was told he would have to have a one time radiation therapy to prevent H.O. What's H.O? I had the same question so I had to do some further research. Basically, heterotopic ossification is is a process by which the soft tissues around the hip harden into bone. We don't want this to happen or another surgery could be required. Obviously Skip's surgeon felt it extremely necessary after looking at his situation up close and personal. There is a slight chance for the development of a tumor (1 in a 1000) from the radiation, but we felt that another hip replacement is not a route we want to take in the next oh say, 100 years or NEVER.






The second rough patch was the radiation experience itself. Since I was across the street in Target searching for a blanket that didn't feel like industrial strength sandpaper when they came after Skip, I missed going with him for the treatment. He was gone about 3 and a half hours. I might or might not have alerted every staff member in the hospital of his long voyage and of my worry. I thought 30 minutes tops, but apparently they have this thing called a waiting room. Therefore, Skip waited 3 hours for his 20 minute procedure. They took him by wheelchair about two blocks away (it's a big hospital). In only his hospital gown. For all to see. He had an experience with his vacuum suction thingy falling off his wound in the radiation office, and he said a neat freak attendant was scrambling trying to clean up the mess. She couldn't get his bloody gown untied to change it, so she just cut it off with scissors. He said the site looked like something out of The Shining. I tell you what, with my man there is never a dull moment.




It looks like we will be making our escape tomorrow. I hesitate to put that in writing because of all the hoopla we went through two years ago. It was pretty crazy looking back at this post in July of 2006. Actually, all of July and August 2006 was pretty crazy. Things are going to look up! If you look closely in the picture of Skip at the top of this post, there are crutches in the background. Day 2 Skip is using crutches! Last surgery he used crutches on the 14th day. Ooh, I'm so excited. Skip is also excited because there is very few restrictions compared to the last surgery. More news tomorrow..........








5 comments:

lori said...

hey girl! so glad you are keeping us updated with the posts. Glad to hear things are going well except for the radiation ordeal.... glad that is over and we know God will take care of everything else. How long are you staying in Victoria? We are leaving for Tennessee early in the morning. We will be there for a few days. Looking forward to just being the 5 of us. We need it. Can't wait till we are back and Skip is feeling better. We need to get together. I am bringing you food sometime. Well... gotta go - love ya girl~

Padre Reeds said...

Working in hospitals for 11yrs I can say it's the place i go only if I'm pretty convinced I'll die if I don't (eg. appendix rupture).
Using "escape" is right on. Skip knows whats he's doing from step one to the end so listen to him when he says what he needs. If he starts thinking he needs more than you know he does, buy him a surprise and totally unrelated gift like fishing rod or cd/dvd he's always wanted to refocus. Being laid up stinks like diapers in the trunk in August.

DA Wagners said...

Awesome! So glad the recover is going well besides those two procedures! Great black and white photo!

Amy said...

Hello, I'm rather new around here, but your husband has been on my heart and in my prayers. I am so thankful he is doing better this time around. I pray his therapy goes quickly and smoothly and that he'll be up and around without those crutches very soon! I spent over two years on them recently and it is not too much fun!

I'll pray, too, that you can get your rest so you'll be able to be "nurse" once you are home again!

Our God is faithful!

DeeDee said...

So glad that everything is going so well! We will keep on praying!! Love ya!